Jim finally finished the dojo in the garage! It was quite the project! It started with the garage floor, and finally finished with the paint, mirrors, punching bag, soft floor mats, art, bamboo blinds, and the first family lesson in the dojo. Here are some pictures!
The dojo is in the 3rd car tandem part of our garage. So, what you see in front is where the 2 cars go, and on the left side at the back is the tandem part where the dojo is.
This picture isn't the best, but it gives you a feel for the dojo. Punching bag on the left, window on the left with bamboo blinds, mirrors on the back wall, blue mats on the floor, and in the back left corner are the tumbling mats and punching pad.
This is the art Jim made to decorate the wall. You can't tell in the picture, but the art wall is a light green color while the other 2 walls and the ceiling are a light brown.
The boys, ready to start their first lesson in the dojo. They don't always wear the headbands, but Grandpa found them in Japan on one of his trips, and they've taken to wearing them.
The inagural cleaning of the mats. They thought this was pretty cool.
Here they are listening to the instructor (Jim, dad). Eric seems to be checking out the art on the wall, and Michael may have been staring at himself in the mirrors.
Eric, during stretches, watching himself in the mirrors.
Michael, taking stretching way too seriously - typical Michael fashion!
Jim really doesn't want pictures of him posted, but I had to show that they did some kicks and punches. 
They had a great time! It was the first of many family dojo moments. This will be a great thing as the boys learn from Jim and have that bonding time. As I watched and took pictures, I could see the excitement that I felt in the air. The boys have been waiting and waiting for their chance to finally go in the dojo and do karate in it with dad. Eric knows what karate lessons are like, and knew what to do. Michael has started to figure it out from watching Jim and Eric have class in the living room, but I could see the excitement in his eyes as he was out on the mat with them. It was one of those magical family moments.
And, Jim told me I could use the dojo with the mirrors for my dancing, too - and I said "what, for when I put up a ballet bar in front of the mirrors or something?" He was referring to me wanting to clog or tap again. Oh. I'm looking forward to the boys and dad spending time together while Kate and I take naps this year!
If you're ever in town, come and drop on by - you may get a free lesson if you're lucky!
1 comments:
That is awesome! Oh, to be a homeowner and to be able to make your garage a dojo! Awesome! I hope Kate comes soon and that your delivery will go smoothly.
Post a Comment