CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shower! and Mountain Meat!

This is all about one day - September 27, 2008

My friends in Longmont threw me a baby shower! It was so much fun! We had practically NOTHING girl, and after the shower we were set to go. It was such a nice event. The food was wonderful (as always, if Cheryl Burrows' name is involved), the presents were so generous, and the company was even better! It was so good for me to "go home" and see all of my friends. Especially after the last few weeks - where we've thought I've been in labor practically every day - and even went to the hospital thinking we were going to have a baby - the trip to Longmont was really nice! I was glad I could make it to the shower, and grateful for all of the good and wonderful people who love and support me. Thanks everyone for coming, it helped lift my spirits - and gave Kate some clothes and diapers to wear!

Here is a picture of me with some of the cute stuff! The line got heavy, and its kindof hard to hang bags of diapers up, but you can get the idea of all the wonderful things we now have for Kate! Thanks Cheryl and Holley for the shower, and thanks everyone for coming!While I was at the shower with Grandma, Jim went to karate. Grandpa was so nice to watch the boys while we were all gone - and even turned on the BBQ to grill a few hot dogs for them. I still think the boys like to BBQ, not for the food, but for the soda and the time spent on the picnic table out back while Grandpa grills.

The boys went out back and picked raspberries from the garden, too. They were good! I can't wait to have our own berries growing one of these years! I attempted to plant some canes this summer so they would grow roots for next summer, but the neighborhood kids just didn't understand why I kept getting upset at them for walking through the "weeds" and pulling the "sticks" out of the ground! We're getting a fence soon, so that problem should be gone for next year's attempt. Here is Eric picking a raspberry.We all went "to the mountain" as the boys say it. The Vintons are very "ritualistic" about what we do as we go to the mountain, so I decided I would document it all for posterity. And, in case anyone forgets, we can refer to the blog to know what to do next. ha ha ha Yeah right!

On our way up to Rocky Mountain National Park, we get some KFC. This is what we refer to as "mountain meat"! I don't remember who started that, but the kids know KFC as "mountain meat" not as KFC. Eric's favorite part is the chicken, Michael's favorite part is the biscuits and honey. We always eat at "our table" (except someone was there, so this picture is actually taken while we were at "our other table" - the alternate)The next part of the tradition is feeding the ducks. We feed them our scraps normally, but this time Michael decided to give them HIS food. Oh well. Its always entertaining watching the kids and the ducks interact. The boys like walking on the logs across the water. There is one large tree around the lake that we usually walk on, but this time we let the boys try it on a small one by the picnic table. Eric was doing really good, and didn't fall until he was just barely a step away from the dirt again. In fact, Eric had a paper at school the week right after this where he had to complete the sentence. The sentence was: Rick walks on the log and he ____. Eric finished the sentence to be "Rick walks on the log and falls off into the water." Brian and Michael, being mountain men, after eating mountain meat.After we eat, we always walk around the lake. Sprague's Lake. Sometimes we go to the left, sometimes we go to the right, but we always go around the lake. This particular time we went to the right. Part of the ritual is to sit on the "sitting tree," a tree that has grown crooked and is like a little bench. We all had a good laugh when Michael accidently called it the "sh***ing tree." Where did that come from?
Next, we climb the rocks. They look really big in the picture, and they are, but not as big as they appear. The boys are such boys - and they enjoy being in the mountains with the fresh air, rocks, sticks, etc.
This time I actually got Jim and the boys to sit for a family picture. See how cute we are! Can you see the fall colors changing behind us? That was what I really enjoyed this trip - I wanted to see the fall colors changing so bad this year, thanks Gma and Gpa for taking me up to see them!
Another part of the ritual is to skip rocks. This is about 1/2 of the way around the pond, where we stop and skip rocks. All the way here the boys and Grandpa collect good skippers, and this is where we all watch them go.
Jim usually protests pictures, and this one is not "approved" to be posted, but here it is. I took probably 15 pictures of him this trip, and this is the best one. He's getting pretty good at dodging my pictures, and giving me shots of his hand instead. But, here he is! I got him!
We usually head home from the mountain as it gets dark (and you can tell from the pictures that it was getting darker as we went on). Dairy Queen is usually a stop on the way home - or at least McD's for a soft serve. By the time we got back to Longmont the boys were asleep, so we skipped that this particular time...although, as we left the lake they did ask if we were headed there next. Its ok we didn't make it this time - it leaves us a reason to go back soon! Thanks Grandpa and Grandma for all the memories of trips up the mountain!

1 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. What a day! I've been wondering about when ms. Kate is going to appear. Good to know that she is still getting ready to come. I love your family picture.