Jim turns 30 tomorrow (Feb. 8th). He's an "Old Man"--he is, ask him--he'll agree! Last night we had his birthday party with the family. What did he want to eat for his bday dinner? Thai food for dinner from our favorite place in town. YUMMY! And his cake? Angle Food with frosting! Yes, with frosting. I'll get used to it in about 30 years. In the meantime, we let him have it and I scrape the frosting off.
Here are some pictures of blowing out the candles, and opening presents. For those of you who were around at Christmas to get presents that Eric had made....you know what is inside the brown bag! (Michael also helped make it this time--little pieces of paper that are a "marble game" they invented....very little pieces of paper. Don't ask to play, it will never make sense to you and it's something that would only really work in video-game world. I am grateful that Eric has caught the spirit of giving, and that he gets inventive and creative. Very creative. )
Today I gave Jim his bday present. Early for his actual day, late for his party. Why didn't I give it to him last night? Well, he took the 2nd of his big tests today! YEAH! I've waited for his day for like 6 months! This means that, assuming he passed (which would really surprise me if he, as the valedictorian of his class, didn't pass) he will be a LICENSED Pharm.D in about 2 weeks!
So, in celebration of him being done, and turning 30, as well as his Valentine's present from the family, we got him Guitar Hero for the Wii! I called multiple stores, searched online, and finally found a copy at Target...and packed up the kids to go get it before it was gone (Jim was at Karate). They were really good at keeping it a secret, which I was really glad for. I hid it under Grandma's bed, and I was SO EXCITED to give him something he really wanted, as a surprise, on his birthday.
Well, 2 days later, we were sitting at breakfast and talking about Dad's birthday and Michael basically said "Get Guitar Hero for your birthday". I tried to cover it up, by saying "Yes, Dad does want that for his birthday" and Michael responded "We got one at the store!" I thought it might slide by Jim if I made something else up later to cover for it, but then Eric said "Uh oh, he told Dad the surprise!" Moral of the story: why do I even try to shop with the children? Michael is still somewhat clueless, but Eric kept asking about it and whining about just buying it and not shopping anymore and so I had to explain it was a surprise...so Michael caught on to the purchase. Oh well. Jim was surprised...to know he was getting it...not to open it up. I didn't even bother wrapping it for him, I just told him to get it out from under his mom's bed.
Here he is, playing. Doesn't he look happy? This was the perfect gift for him, especially for a day like today...and that's another story (you should ask Jim about a sinkhole in I-25 and driving the wrong way down the on-ramp on his way home from his test).
Jim helped the boys play....he was so nice to share his new toy with the boys. Here he is with Eric.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday to Jim! And, I am SO jealous about Guitar Hero. Daniel brought it over last week and I love to play. He actually stopped by your parents house and played Guitar Hero with Jenny a little bit. Too funny! Anyway, so crazy about Jim driving the wrong way and the sinkhole on the way home from his test. Did he have to drive the wrong way to avoid the sinkhole, or was he so tired from the test that he wasn't paying attention to the road signs? :)
What a great birthday present!! That's funny that Jim's birthday is teh 8th. Jon's is the 9th and I racked my brain on what to do. We ended up getting bikes so we could go bike riding as a family in the spring.
Post a Comment